Friday, April 20, 2012

SSL VPN

While working on my final project for my security lab class, I ran across this amazing tool, OpenVPN ALS or Adito. Our group decided to implement a VPN as part of security for our network. This is all fine and dandy but we don't have any enterprise tools available to us to use. I don't know really anything about how to setup a VPN, except for making one in Windows. Anyway, in my searching on Google I found this video:

http://revision3.com/hak5/sslvpndsolo

Much thanks go to hak5.org for making this very informative video. He does talk about how to setup the service in the video and I encourage you to watch it if you are interested. I do want to post some comments I have about the service myself. I installed the server on a FC14 machine and it worked exactly the same as in the video except I installed the OpenJDK package rather than sun-java. Also, when I tried to access the VPN from a linux client machine I could not get the SSL tunnel to the server on my network working. It worked fine with Windows. I'll look into this more and try and see whats going on. Bottom line if you are looking for a simple VPN setup, this will probably do what you are looking for.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to look it over. I’m definitely enjoying the information. I’m bookmarking and will be tweeting this to my followers! Exceptional blog and wonderful style and design.
    __________________
    secure ssl vpn connection

    ReplyDelete