Saturday, June 23, 2012

One computer, multiple networks

Now, this is a problem that I have been facing for a few years now. Let me sum it up for you. I am a former network administrator for my mom's business. Being the network administrator I completely overhauled the entire network and replaced the server a few years back. With these improvements we wanted to be able to access the internet, but only from a couple of computers. So the objective was to have to client computers connect to two separate networks, one that was just for the business and another one that was connected to the internet. When all was said and done I had one computer that was working just fine and was able to connect to both networks without any difficulty, but the second one would not do this no matter what I tried. After years of having this problem I finally found this forum topic:

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t297470-wireless-and-wired-network-together-on-windows-xp.html

After reading this post I remembered everything that I learned in my networking class about how computers/routers prioritize routes. I wish I had more information but this is definitely something that I need to keep in mind for future endeavors and if anybody else is having the same problem I hope that it will help you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment